Friday, September 25, 2015

Protein Vanilla Blueberry Cake


I apologize for the lack of recipe posts over the past 9+ months. Life has been incredibly great and I've never been happier thanks to my boyfriend Jack :)

So back to recipes. Since the last post I've been really focusing on taking weight training up a notch. Jack happens to be a certified Exercise Physiologist, so he's been putting me through some crazy awesome lifting routines with him. We've also been focusing on improving our eating habits and eating enough to fuel ourselves through our workouts, as well as promote fast recovery after out workouts. This being said, I still love sweets. Together we've made protein cookies, protein cheesecake, tons of protein goodies.

Here is one recipe I made just last night, slightly adapted from a Quest Nutrition Recipe. This protein-packed blueberry cake is pretty darn awesome. It's low-fat, contains whole-wheat flour, and has antioxidant rich blueberries! If you are looking for a healthier alternative to normal cake or muffins to eat on a regular basis, I'd give this one a try!

Oh, and let me know what you think. Pretty sure it needs a few additional changes, so I'd appreciate your feedback!


Protein Vanilla Blueberry Cake
Adapted from Quest Nutrition Recipes
Makes 2 mini loafs (12 slices)

Ingredients:
  • 2 scoops vanilla whey protein (I used 7 Protein Synthesis)
  • 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon white whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons stevia
  • 1/2 cup egg whites
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Combine protein powder, 1/2 cup flour,  baking powder, and stevia in a medium-sized bowl.
  3. Add in the egg whites, canola oil, and applesauce.
  4. In a small bowl toss the blueberries with remaining 1 tablespoon of flour. Fold blueberries into the mix.
  5. Spray mini loaf pans with cooking spray and scoop in batter.
  6. Bake for 15 minutes or until top is golden.
Nutrition Information (per slice):
Calories: 55 kcal, Total carbohydrates: 5.8 gm, Fiber: 1.0 gm, Total fat: 1.6 gm, Protein: 5.0 gm

No comments:

Post a Comment