I was a bit nervous at how it would turn out, but it was delicious - and fiancé approved! That means it must have been a pretty good recipe. It's an easy recipe, and you can add as many veggie toppings as you'd like (I'd recommend adding some spinach or kale!) Try it out, let me know what you think!
Chickpea Pizza with Chicken Sausage and Vegetables
Adapted from Fitness Magazine.
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 fully-cooked chicken sausages (I used Simply Balanced spinach & garlic), thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/4 cup part-skim mozzarella, shredded (optional)
- pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix chickpea flour, water, and salt in a medium bowl; stir until free of lumps. Let mixture sit for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp oil in a skillet. Sauté onion, bell pepper, and chicken sausage until softened and slightly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add remaining oil to cast iron skillet and coat evenly. Place skillet in preheated oven for 5 minutes; remove from oven carefully. Rewhisk chickpea mixture, pour into skillet. Bake in oven for 8 minutes or until it looks firm and edges begin to pull away from sides of skillet.
- Remove crust from oven; turn oven to broil. Top crust with pepper and sausage mixture, cherry tomatoes, and mozzarella. Season with pepper if desired. Return skillet to oven and broil for 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.