Instead, how about of some homemade cereal that's free of preservatives and wasn't made in a factory? I promise, this recipe is a cinch to make! This recipe can easily by made vegan and/or gluten-free.
These squares are hearty, filling, and utterly delicious. This cereal can be eaten as is, with milk, or my favorite - sprinkled on top of yogurt.
Peanut Butter Oat Squares
Adapted from BHG
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (or GF flour)
- 2 tbsp flaxseed
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp all-natural peanut butter (or nut butter of choice)
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp honey (or agave to make vegan)
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
Cereal before baking
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place oats in a food processor and process until finely ground. Add flour, flaxseed, brown sugar, peanut butter, water, honey, baking soda, and salt. Cover and process until combined.
- Coat a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray. Press oat mixture firmly into the baking pan. Cut mixture into 1-inch squares. Bake about 20-30 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool about 5 minutes. When cool enough to touch, break apart into squares. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Calories: 150 cal, Total carbohydrates: 23.5 g, Fiber: 3.4g, Sugar: 7.4 g, Total fat: 5.4 g, Protein, 4.8 g