In this recipe I used a few of the staples of enchiladas (corn tortillas, red sauce, and cheese), but chose to add a more nutritious, delicious, and satisfying filling. Roasted vegetables and black beans add some much needed fiber and protein to this dish, while keeping it low in saturated fat.
I used vegetables that I had on hand, but feel free to use which ever you choose! The corn tortillas make this dish gluten-free, and if you choose to use vegan cheese (or omit the cheese), it becomes vegan as well.
Roasted Veggie Enchiladas
Makes 8 enchiladas
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 ear of corn, cooked and kernels removed
- 8 corn tortillas
- 15 oz can red enchilada sauce
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese (dairy or vegan), if desired
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cover a baking pan with foil and lightly grease using cooking spray. Add the sweet potato, zucchini, onion, and bell pepper to the pan. Lightly spray the vegetables with cooking spray. Roast for 20-30 minutes until golden, stirring about half way through.
- When vegetables are done, transfer to a bowl. Stir in corn and jalapeno.
- Prepare a 9x13 baking pan by coating the bottom with several spoonfuls of enchilada sauce.
- Wrap tortillas in a moist paper towel and microwave for 45 seconds to soften.
- Take out a large plate to prepare the enchiladas. Add several spoonfuls of sauce to the plate. Place a tortilla in the sauce to coat one side. Add 2 spoonfuls of veggie mix and one spoonful of beans in the center of the tortilla. Roll up sides and place seam down into pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Spoon sauce over enchiladas to coat. Sprinkle tops with cheese, if using. Bake for 10 minutes. Enjoy!
I had a lot of ingredients left over (about 2 cups of mixed veggies, 1/2 a can of black beans, and some sauce). Feel free to make additional enchiladas, or just save the ingredients to make a delicious salad! Yum!
Nutrition Information (per enchilada):
Calories: 101.0 kcal, Total carbohydrates: 16.8 gm, Fiber: 3.4 gm, Total fat: 1.8 gm, Protein: 5.0 gm