This recipe was inspired by...leftovers. I had some leftover ingredients in the fridge that I desperately needed to use up. I am not one for wasting food, especially healthy food!
Southwestern Quinoa Salad
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian spices
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1/2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 ear corn, cooked and kernels removed
- 3/4 cup black beans
- 1 chipotle pepper on adobo sauce, diced
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Combine quinoa, water, and spices in a saucepan. Cover and bring water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until all of the water is absorbed, about 10-12 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium-sized skillet. Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes, until softened. Add zucchini to skillet and sauté for 2 minutes more. Then, add beans, corn, and chipotle pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Fluff quinoa with a fork. Add veggie mixture to the quinoa, and mix thoroughly. Add lime juice and salt if desired. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition information (based on 2 servings):
Calories: 339.2 calories, Total carbohydrates: 59.8 gm, Fiber: 11.1 gm, Total fat: 6.2 gm, Protein: 14.0 gm