Not the greatest picture. This recipe was actually an experiment. And then I ate them too fast to remember to take another picture! I guess that's how you know they were pretty darn good!
You can really add whatever you like to these. I used fruit, nuts, seeds, and a handful of chopped dark chocolate for a little something different. I guarantee you will love these!
Hearty Breakfast Bars
Makes 9 bars
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp nut butter - optional
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 dates, chopped
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup raisins (I used Thompson)
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds (I used roasted unsalted)
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate - optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x9 pan.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Mix in the applesauce, vanilla, and nut butter (if using). Stir in the rest of the ingredients until combined.
- Spread evenly into pan. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until golden.
- Let cool and then cut into 9 bars.
- Store in fridge covered in plastic wrap. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information (without nut butter):
Calories: 234.6 kcal, Total carbohydrates: 35.7 gm, Fiber: 5.3 gm, Total fat: 10.3 gm, Protein: 4.4 gm