Oh, and Halloween is in October. Duh. The only holiday in which it's mildly appropriate to stuff your face with candy...which I should probably be against, but hey, its one day right? ;)
Typical candies the are given out ate things like Reese's, Snickers, 3 Musketeers, Milky Way, M&M's, and the lost goes on. Aside from these candies being chockfull of sugar, they also have preservatives. Which is why you can still dig into the old Halloween candy in the middle of July and it tastes just fine (assuming its even still around).
Skip the preservatives and try making these super easy and AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS homemade Peanut Butter KitKat bars! I'm not going to say these are your traditional KitKat flavor, but they do have the crunch. If KitKats and Tagalong cookies had a baby, these would be them.
These can be preserved for several weeks/months if you store them in the freezer. I'd recommend at least storing them in the fridge to keep them from melting...unless you like them melty and messy!
Homemade PB KitKats
Makes 36 pieces
- 9 graham cracker sheets (I used Trader Joe's brand)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (I used Peanut Butter & Co.'s Dark Chocolate Dreams)
- about 8 oz dark chocolate chips
- Prepare a baking sheet by covering it with wax paper.
- Start by breaking each graham cracker sheet into 4 pieces (following indentions). Using a sharp knife, chop each piece in half length-wise. The faster you chop it, the more likely it breaks in half instead of multiple pieces.
- Next, spread one graham piece with the peanut butter. Place another graham piece on top of it to create a "sandwich." Set on prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining graham pieces.
- Place baking sheet in the freezer for about 15 minutes to harden the graham sandwiches.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate chips using a double boiler (microwaving works too). Once melted, remove from heat. Take baking sheet out of freezer. Dip each graham sandwich into the chocolate, coating each side. Place back onto baking sheet and put back in freezer for 15 minutes or until hardened.
- Enjoy your homemade candy!
Serving size: 1 piece
Calories: 66.3 kcal, Total carbohydrates: 7.9 gm, Fiber: 0.8 gm, Total fat: 4.0 gm, Protein: 0.9 gm