Believe it or not, I had never had kabocha squash until I this fall. Boy, have I been missing out! I must say that kabocha squash is now my FAVORITE winter squash. It has the heartiness of butternut squash but is a bit less starchy. Therefore meaning that kabocha squash is a great choice if you are watching your carbs or overall calories.
After buying several kabocha squashes and trying several recipes, this is definitely my favorite one! I found a miso pumpkin soup recipe from The Kitchn (great blog by the way, check them out!) and figured kabocha squash would work just as well. And it sure did! I made just a couple tweaks to this recipe to slightly reduce the fat, calories, and sodium. I topped the soup with pepitas and also served it with a slice of toasted "Seedsational" Wheat Bread from Sprouts.
I plan on making this recipe multiple times this fall & winter. Try it out, I'm certain you'll love it!
Kabocha Miso Soup
Makes 4 servings (about 2 cups each)
- 2-3 lbs kabocha squash
- 3/4-1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup toasted unsalted pepitas
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Slice the kabocha squash in half. Scoop out seeds and discard them. Remove skin of the squash, if desired (Soup will not be as silky if skin is left on). Cut squash into 2-inch pieces.
- Toss squash and sweet potato pieces with 1/2 tbsp olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet. Roast in oven for about 30 minutes, or until pieces can be pierced with a fork.
- Heat remaining 1/2 tbsp of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the shallots and ginger and sauté until softened. Add the miso paste, broth, and water, stirring until dissolved. Add the roasted squash and potatoes and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Puree the soup using a food processor or immersion blender. Garnish soup with toasted pepitas and serve with a slice of heart bread. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information (pepitas and bread not included):
Calories: 155.0 calories, Total carbohydrates: 28.6 gm, Fiber: 4.7 gm, Total fat: 3.4 gm, Protein: 3.4 gm