Wheat berries has a chewy texture and tastes similar to barley. I used red wheat berries in this recipe, but barley works just as well. For a gluten-free option, try using short-grain brown rice.
I served this as a side dish with lemon pepper roasted chicken and grilled asparagus.
Lemony Wheat Berries with Feta and Pine Nuts
- 1 cup red wheat berries (barley, farro, or short-grain brown rice)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 cup kale, chopped finely
- zest of one lemon
- 1 oz reduced-fat feta
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot, combine winter wheat and water. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn heat to low. Simmer for about 30 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add pine nuts and cook about 1 minute until slightly golden.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add kale to skillet and cook until wilted. Set aside.
- Combine lemon zest, feta, and kale mixture in a large bowl. When the winter wheat is done, stir in to mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Calories: 199.8 calories, Total carbohydrates: 33.7 g, Fiber: 5.7 g, Total fat: 5.7 g, Protein: 6.8 g